There are a few basic eating rules, if followed regularly, will leave you feeling fantastic. Making these rules a part of your daily life will help sustain not only your new optimum weight, but your overall feeling of health and fitness as well.
- Eat breakfast every day: You will burn up to 70% more calories in the day by having a healthy breakfast. No skipping!
- Calorie Counting & Portion Awareness: If you regularly consume too many calories, the excess is stored as body fat. Keep a food diary with the calorie count. It’s important that you write down everything you eat so that you can track your daily calories. We tend to forget all the little things we eat and only remember the main meals. When dining out make sure you take your calorie counter with you. Do not hesitate to request a take-out container for the leftovers.
- Eat Clean: Consume as many natural clean foods as possible; keep your digestive system healthy with fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains and remember to strengthen your bones by eating plenty of calcium-rich foods.
- Label Lingo: Get in the habit of using the “guide label” on food packages. There is so much valuable information on labels that can be used in planning healthy menus. However, if you are not clear in your mind what you are reading, do a web search for the words you are not certain of, this will give you the confidence that you are feeding your family what you think you are.
- Supermarket Smart: Stock your shelves only with healthy foods and snacks and you’ll eat only healthy foods and snacks. Learn what choices you have within each section of the supermarket and you’ll be able to steer your cart safely through the store, even through “land mine” areas like the bakery and frozen desert aisles.
- Avoid Energy Zappers: Make sure you eat often enough. Two small snacks – one at mid morning and one at mid afternoon – help to stabilize blood sugar levels and prevent energy crashes. Choose snacks that are high in protein and healthy carbs.
(Photo credit: deliciousfood4u.com)